Monday, July 25, 2011

Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer By: Michelle Hodkin

Title: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Published Date: September 27th, 2011
Source: ARC Courtesy of Simon & Schuster Canada

Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.

She's wrong.

(Review by Goodreads)

Mara Dyer is just another teen growing up in Rhode Island. A friend and a daughter with a bright future ahead of her until one night where everything seems to blackout. Mara wakes up in the hospital with bruises and no memory whatsoever. She’s certain of two things: first, her friends are dead and second, she some how survived.

Time passes and Mara Dyer is no longer the same person. She sees them. Her dead friends. She hears them and she imagines them so vividly in her everyday life. With no choice left, Mara and her family decide to move away and start fresh with no ties to the past. When they set foot in their new town, things don’t seem to ease up on Mara they seem to have gotten worse. The constant nightmares and images that pass through her mind are telling her something about the night her friends die but she can’t quite figure it all out. Amidst Mara Dyer’s descend into crazy, she meets a boy Noah Shaw –CORRECTION: a hot boy with a BRITISH accent *sigh*. He’s got a bad reputation but despite what everyone thinks they know, Mara learns for herself, Noah is MUCH more than the poster child for womanizer. He’s hot, he loves dogs, and there’s something about him that keeps him fighting for Mara every second he’s got! They both find something in each other that is special and at the same time scary. They’ve got no clue how to control it and the consequences are deadly. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is EPIC!

Every word hung with unbearable tension, every page so bone chilling! The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is going to mess with your mind! A novel with haunting characters, lovely boys and killer friends – literally. It left me scared with chills down my spine and in love with the Noah Shaw! All boys should aspire to be Noah Shaw! Easily one of my favourite reads so far this year!

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars!

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer hits shelves on September 27th. EVERYONE definitely needs to check this book out!

~

I asked Michelle Hodkin if you could tell your readers one thing about The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, what would it be? She replied:

“I think I’d tell them that there will DEFINITELY be a sequel, and it will be out in Fall 2012 :)”

So there you have it, rest assured, there will be more to the story of Mara Dyer!

~

And now I leave you with some of my favourite lines from The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer:

~

“My God, you’re like the plague.”

“A masterfully crafted, powerfully understated and epic parable of timeless moral resonance? Why, thank you. That’s one of the nicest things anyone’s ever said to me,” he said, coolly amused.

~

“No. I hate you,” I said hoping that saying it would make it so.

“And yet, you draw me.” Noah was still smug, completely undeterred by my declaration…”Why?” he asked.

“Why what?” What could I say? Noah despite you being an asshole, or maybe because of it, I’d like to rip off your clothes and have your babies. Don’t tell.

~



As Always,

HAPPY READING

-Sherry

PS - Did I stress how much I LOVED this book? Michelle Hodkin is pretty awesome as well! Check out her blog HERE and follow her on twitter @MichelleHodkin


2 comments:

  1. This book was the greatest. I can't wait to read #2!

    http://lisleslivres.blogspot.com/2012/10/review-unbecoming-of-mara-dyer-by.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! How much do you just love NOAH!? British accents make me go week in the knees ;P

      Delete